Specialist legal advice and support, given in a timely manner and from a team with real experience, can make a positive impact on the revenue that a business can generate from its sports, media or entertainment interests.
Our legal advice is provided by a team of lawyers situated in every major time zone. We can tell you when it might be advantageous to establish a British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Irish, Jersey or Luxembourg entity for the purpose of owning your interests and we can advise you how best to structure your licensing or distribution arrangements in different regions so as to maximise income from your assets. Our services include:
- acquisition and ownership holding structures
- funds for the purposes of investing in sports ventures including player funds
- joint ventures both with respect to investment in the sports industry and between sports entities, the media and technology companies
- intellectual property holding structures
- licensing of intellectual property including with respect to brands and brand merchandising, sponsorship deals, naming rights, merchandising, multimedia and gaming products
- sports related financing for teams, clubs, leagues and associations by means of secured loan financing, credit facilities, bond issues, commercial paper and long term fixed rate debt facilities, including securitisation of future flow revenue (ticket sales, broadcasting rights and royalties) and stadium financing
- media right holding structures
- broadcasting – domestic and international television, radio, internet broadcasting and mobile wireless agreements
Personality / Athlete Services
- ownership of image and associated intellectual property rights
- licensing of image and associated intellectual property rights including endorsements on a regional and global basis
- trust structures for private wealth management
Our specialist skills and knowledge are strongly supported by the collective expertise of our Corporate, Funds & Investment Management, Finance, Intellectual Property and Trusts & Private Client groups.
LocationsCayman Islands | British Virgin Islands
Thank you!We have recieved your details.
Maples and Calder (Ireland) LLP, the Maples Group's law firm in Ireland, is pleased to announce the addition of Lorna Smith who joins the firm as a Partner in its Financial Services Regulatory practice.
13 Jan 2021Read more
The Maples Group is pleased to support the Leon Levy Foundation, a private philanthropic foundation with US$450 million in assets. The Group's consolidated operational and technology platform for data aggregation, portfolio accounting and portfolio reporting and customized support has allowed the Leon Levy Foundation to meaningfully analyze its investments in a timely manner while better understanding the strategies to which it has allocated capital.
12 Jan 2021Read more
Maples and Calder, the Maples Group's law firm, is pleased to announce that its Asia practice has been recognised for its role in advising on seven of the transactions listed as Deals of the Year 2020 by China Business Law Journal ("CBLJ"). Additionally, Anthony Webster, Partner and head of the Funds & Investment Management team in Hong Kong and Matt Roberts, Partner and head of the Corporate practice in Asia were recognised on CBLJ's A-List.
12 Jan 2021Read more
24 Dec 2020Read more
The Maples Group was pleased to act as Cayman Islands counsel to Xiaomi Corporation in relation to its combined issue of US$855million zero coupon guaranteed convertible bonds, due 2027 and convertible into class B ordinary shares of Xiaomi Corporation under general mandate and approximately US$3.1billion subscription of placing of existing shares and top-up subscription of shares under general mandate.
18 Dec 2020Read more
The Maples Group's Dublin and London Offices are proud to announce that together they have selected Barnardo's UK and Barnardos Ireland for a special Christmas donation.
17 Dec 2020Read more