Talk to our experts today for solutions tailored to your needs
The Internationalization of Alternative Funds
Global private capital has followed a steady growth trajectory in recent years and has now reached record levels. At the same time, regional distribution of this AUM has shifted considerably with Asia, Europe and the rest of the world steadily growing their share.
Private Equity Expense Disclosure and Policy Adherence
While private equity has enjoyed significant growth due to its potential for long term investment returns, there have been concerns in recent years about a perceived lack of transparency into investment operations and financials.
Private Equity Fund Services
With the ever increasing challenges of running a successful private equity firm, managers need a partner that not only delivers expertise to support their fund’s unique challenges, but has the technical excellence and innovative culture to respond to evolving regulatory and investor requirements across key global markets to support their ongoing growth.
Our skilled team specialises in a wide range of sectors and disciplines, including buyouts, venture capital, real estate, natural resources, growth capital, direct lending, distressed securities, infrastructure, mezzanine and private equity fund of funds.
Bespoke Support Driven by Our Global Expertise
Our international, multi-jurisdictional presence, approach to client service and our experience dealing with complex structures makes us a compelling choice for supporting your private equity, real estate and hybrid funds. Whatever a fund's requirement, both managers and investors can trust our team to deliver the services they need.
Our experienced teams are led by seasoned professionals with expertise in accounting for private equity investments, complex allocations and fee calculations and monitoring the events that trigger waterfalls throughout the life cycle of each fund.
We offer a single point of contact for each client who will manage the relationship from the onboarding process through to the ongoing daily operational interactions with the investors and general partner. With approximately 220 conversions over the past seven years, we have established the processes, policies and procedures to ensure a seamless migration that retains critical records necessary to generate inception to date internal rate of return, carried interest and waterfall modeling.
Our services and bespoke technologies include:
- Portfolio accounting: provide accounting for private equity investments including direct and co-investment opportunities and special purpose vehicle investments across various jurisdictions;
- Reconciliations: reconcile cash and positions to third party statements or relevant transaction documents;
- Waterfall calculations: allocate profit and loss to limited partners and the general partner and calculate fees, waterfall and carried interest allocations;
- Financial statements: prepare financial statements for the fund, including relevant note disclosures under IFRS or GAAP accounting standards and assist in the audit process by providing relevant accounting records and supporting schedules; and
- Fund compliance: generate Form PF and Annex IV regulatory filings on the firm's assets as well as FATCA and CRS reporting.
- Due diligence: perform investor due diligence including Know Your Client, anti-money laundering services in accordance with applicable jurisdictional anti-money laundering legislation;
- Maintain register: maintain the register of the fund;Banking: open and operate accounts in required currencies on behalf of the fund to receive contributions and pay distributions, fees and other amounts as required;
- Transaction processing: process capital transactions including distribution of capital call and distribution notices and processing of cash receipts and distributions;
- Reporting: provide secure, online access to investor reporting including contract notes, statements, notices and other ancillary documents and correspondence; and
- Investor liaison: provide timely responses to ad hoc inquiries from investors and their authorised representatives.
- From Agreements to Waterfalls: Built around FIS’ industry leading private equity fund accounting platform, Investran, Maples Fund Services' technology provides a fully integrated intuitive workflow that captures the specific terms of each fund's allocations, fee calculations and waterfalls through a robust platform that allows for:
- Bespoke translation of fund limited partnership agreements into unique structured profit and loss allocations, carried interest and waterfall calculations;
- Integrated fund accounting and investor services software that remove data entry and spreadsheet risk; and
- A flexible framework approach to optimise control and data.
- Private Equity Dashboards: Maples Fund Services' private equity dashboard, MaplesFS Connect, provides defined views for specific qualitative and quantitative attributes and allows users to quickly source required data through groupings and sorting by any data attribute for analysis at position level detail and higher level graphical presentation.
- Investor Reporting: Through our robust and intuitive online reporting platforms, investors and general partners have secure web access to a variety of current and historical documents including capital statements, call and distribution notices, quarterly and annual financial statements, market updates and newsletters and other relevant fund information.
Our online platforms are complemented by email communication. With customisable content, email notification is sent to investors and authorised recipients when a new document is posted to the portal. Emails include an easy click-through feature for securely and directly accessing documents.
The content, layout and format of all investor reporting is ILPA compliant but is also fully customisable, including bilingual and foreign language content.
All portals and reports can be co-branded or white labelled.
Brendan is responsible for driving the growth of Maples Fund Services’ fund administration business across North America. He brings over 20 years of experience in the asset management industry and specific expertise in hedge fund and private equity strategies and fund administration. Brendan takes a collaborative approach to working with clients, acting as a trusted partner to equip them with the tools they need to succeed. He has authored multiple articles on various topics relating to private equity fees and expenses, as well as regulatory issues and the implications for US fund managers.
Bob is responsible for driving the growth of the Maples Group’s fund services business with a specific focus on development and delivery of solutions to private equity clients. He has over 25 years as a senior business leader in the financial services industry, growing and optimizing businesses through value-added solutions and strategic roadmaps with over 10 years specifically in the private equity industry. Bob brings a commitment to delivering a unique long-term value added partnership to clients. He has authored a number of articles on the private equity industry and has been a speaker on several panels addressing strategic and operational trends affecting administration.
Christina has responsibility for the Maples Group’s fund services business in Europe which provides fund administration and transfer agency services to both Irish domiciled funds and non-Irish domiciled funds, including UCITS and alternative investment funds (AIFs). She takes a client-focused approach to service, assisting managers throughout the set-up and launch process across an extensive range of fund structures and asset classes. In addition, she has oversight business development for the fund services business in Europe. Christina is a recognised thought leader and regularly provides insight on the European fund landscape.
Eastern has an overall responsibility for the operations of the Maples Group’s fund services business in Asia. He has over 20 years of professional accounting experience, including direct experience providing fund administration services to a wide range of investment funds including but not limited to single manager hedge funds, fund of hedge funds, private equity funds and publicly offered Japanese retail funds. Eastern is conversant with establishing funds in unit trust, corporate funds, umbrella funds, segregated portfolio company and limited partnership structures. Eastern is a recognised industry thought leader in Asia and regularly speaks at events on topics related to the fund administration landscape and the growth of this industry in the local market.
Fred has overall responsibility for the Maples Group’s fund services business in the Middle East. He has more than 20 years of experience in financial services operations and fund administration and reporting for wide range of investment funds with expertise and knowledge of best practices in the operations of asset managers, service providers, and banks and various jurisdictions including the Cayman Islands, Dubai International Financial Centre and Abu Dhabi Global Market. Fred brings a deep understanding of and commitment to delivering best-in-class reporting solutions for complex real estate, private equity and sharia compliant transactions for leading asset managers throughout the Middle East. Fred is also a regular contributor to various industry publications on topics including real estate, private equity and operational best practices.